Sunday 3 March 2013

Writing The Bad Guy



Brutal men exist, and so do those who love them.

This is a quote from our third novel, Despite Them, and the phrase which we used to promote the book. Seems like a nice little tag line, but the words were actually inspired by the conflicts I sometimes encounter as the creator of...the bad guy.

I hope you heard ominous music in your head at the sight of those words. Okay, so I don't just create one bad guy, but a whole effing mob of them. A big bunch of thugs who some people love and others seem to hate. And on a, don't try this at home kids note, none of these crooks are intended to be role models.

Fergus Campbell. Now there's a name that tends to promote the most visceral reaction. He is, without a doubt, an utter swine of a man. A brutal criminal who thumps first then asks questions later. The reader is meant to fear for anyone whom he encounters, but I won't tell people that they're meant to hate him, or love him for that matter. It's entirely up to whoever is holding the book at the time. Personally? I'd cross the street if I saw him. Shout from a healthy distance about what a big jerk he is and of how some day, someone will kick him up and down the street in the way he so easily does to others.

In real life I'd have no time for him, but I've encountered people like him and used some of the traits I found in those people to create my bad guy.

He's charming, for one. On a first meeting one might be sapped in by that. And of course, he's extremely handsome. Being a bastard doesn't make a guy's face ugly...well not until someone socks him one for it, I guess.

So there he is. Nice suit, neatly trimmed goatee, dripping elegant compliments on unsuspecting admirers. Just like a good few of the brutes I've had the misfortune to encounter. He also has endearing qualities. He’s generous and even tender, with the man he loves. Sometimes, but not always, he’s capable of acknowledging when he’s in the wrong and making amends for that fact. With himself, at least, he is completely candid about his fails but still manages to justify his more reprehensible ones. But again only to himself. His honestly doesn’t extend to those around him.

The better qualities that he displays are perhaps what cause most conflict. Because I write him as a good-looking charmer, does that mean I condone his actions?

Hannibal Lecter is suave, intelligent and very easy on the eye. An utterly perfect bad guy, in my opinion. At some points he appears kind and thoughtful to the young FBI agent, Clarice Starling. So Thomas Harris is an advocate of murder and cannibalism? Okay, a bit extreme, but you see my point?

All people, even the most vicious, are capable of good. Even for only a fleeting moment in an otherwise savage existence.

One scene, in Despite Them, finds loveable reprobate, Judas MacGregor, lamenting that as he's the good guy—in the fictional showdown he's having with his arch enemy, Owen MacIsaac—by default, he'd have the white Stetson. In his own fashion challenged way, he considers that the black hat would look better.

If only sorting the jerks and heartbreakers from Mr Wonderful was as easy as having a quick look at their choice of head apparel.

MacIsaac, being the villain in that scene, is described as shaven headed and scarred. Perhaps more like what people expect as a typical yobbish nut-job. When I wrote him, the ex-footballer turned actor, Vinnie Jones, kept popping into my head. For me, I find that look way more attractive than Fergus's dark hair and chiselled features. But I digress, their physical appearances were not influenced by their personalities. They’re both bastards.

Brutal men do exist. The people who love them are often fully aware of their true nature. In real life, this can be hard to swallow. Especially if one is close to a victim of one of these swines.

Why does he/she keep going back to him/her?

It's a complex query which I'm not about to go into in this blog. Suffice to say, I have experience of this question.

In fiction, and in particular, my own comedic accounts of a group of self-titled hard men, I've tried to represent my characters as realistically as possible, albeit that they sometimes land in some very unrealistic situations. But I'm writing a Yaoi fantasy, and one which I hope can carry the reader away from their woes for a while.

In writing Fergus, who describes himself as a "coward", I hope I managed to create the turmoil of emotions that one often feels when dealing with the prick in our own real lives.

Katsura and Yuramei’s good, and bad, guys can be found here: www.bigdealcomic.com

 

8 comments:

  1. It's very interesting, isn't it? I see it often that friends (and myself) love especially the bad guys in fiction. In ominous so called "real life" we wouldn't stand them, hell we would yell at each other if we ever would fall in love with a bad guy. But in fiction we do love them, especially if they are charming (or totally crazy).

    And for those who love them... I wondered often about Mikas decision in the end that he wants to marry Fergus because of what his mother said, not because he love Fergus. Fergus didn't do something mean or bad to Mika (well okay in one scene he did), but he is cruel to the point that he would kill other people - which is against Mikas principles. Although Fergus would do that to protect Mika himself and their relationship. It was pretty fascinating, all of Fergus actions were because of their relationship and his love for Mika - but Mika turned away until Fergus's Mother talked into his brain. Maybe that was the hardest part, to accept that he love Fergus no matter what. I really do love their relationship... Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's exactly how I am. In fiction I love the bad guy, in real life, I'd defend anyone who'd hooked up with one.
      Mika really struggled over his feelings in the last book. It can't be easy for him as he has very strong views on morality, despite his profession. He's a great example of the conflict that I was talking about!
      Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to comment.
      ~K xxx

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Although I'm very fixated on Mika. Can't help, I just love him.
      It's a miracle that he, who doesn't believe in love and who hates violence fell in love with Fergus... charming bad guy.

      Delete
    3. Gosh how lovely to hear your opinions on this Tharayn. Yuramei designed the character of Mikhail and I find him so complex and wonderful to write,
      ~K xxxx

      Delete
    4. The funny thing is, normally I don't like effeminate men and Mika is very effeminate. But he has a certain nobel, elegant and sensual style, high virtues and principles and... okay, he IS a beauty (and intelligent. Which makes him even more attractive). I like the dynamic he adds to the story and that he turn Fergus's head with one gaze, with one simple, but elegant movement. I also like that the sex scenes between him and Fergus are simple and just real, it's so opposite what you would anticipate with Mika.
      And to stay on topic: Bad guys can love too, hm? And he lost his heart to Mika.

      Delete
    5. Aw thank you very much! I have to say I am personally not a fan of too effeminate male characters as well. The main reason being that they are usually portrayed stereotypical weak and with not much going for them beside their looks. So creating Mikhail was a bit of a personal challenge.
      It was interesting how exactly this features (his intellect and morals) then collided with his feelings for Fergus. It’s a good example for how love doesn’t ask why and is not reasonable in it’s choice. :)

      Delete
  2. With every good guy there comes that bad and in general fiction the bad guy is always the nasty bad guy, but it's always great when it's changed up a little. Well a lot and I'm glad that the day came when I found it in these books. It's exactly the bite most were looking for including myself. I for one wanted to love the bad guy for a change and not despise them or wants the character killed off in a book. Kat, all your books in this series is very tangible, the characters are very likeable although I do digress I'm more partial to some of them than to others, but every one of these villains have this air about them and KUDOS to you for bringing them to us! Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This means a whole big deal to me and I am genuinely touched by your comment,
      ~K xxxxx

      Delete